The Playlist of Destiny


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Hello

Hello

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Post That Lost A Few Pounds

I've fallen in love again.

Yes, that's right. It was love at first sight. Or possibly second. But whatever it is, I want her. Badly. I could definitely see myself in her, and I could see she wanted love too. However before it starts sounding too suss, let me point out that I'm talking about a car. Not just any car, but a Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Monza.






It's basically a stock Alfa 147, but the 4cyl, 2 litre engine has been replaced with a big 3.2L V6 engine that develops 187KW, or 250bhp. This in a small hatchback, equals a lot of fun. Other add-ons are Brembo brakes, a more aggressive bodykit and a tweaked suspension to give it that performance feel.

To keep all those raging Italian stallions in check, one would assume that Alfa has installed a special differential system in the GTA, like the Limited-Slip Differential in a Ford Focus RS. Maybe even a 4WD system like the Golf R32... No. What you get is a normal differential controlling the 250 horses that drive the front wheels. The end result is a car that requires various electronical systems to prevent you from steering into a hedge, or a divider. Clearly this 147 GTA is an insane car, made for insane people.

Which is why I want one. But not just a normal GTA, but this particular one with the Monza badge. The badge is a nod towards Alfa's past racing history. They built the GTA Monza as a tribute to their 80th anniversary of their first win at Monza, a famous Italian racetrack. Only 100 147 GTA Monzas were built and that therefore makes it a classic already.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson and back to why I want this car: in addition to the fact that it is brilliant, it also had the most beautiful paintjob. She had a wonderful pearly-white coat which glimmered wherever the sunlight touched her. It's something that has to be seen, in the metal, to be appreciated. It was truly the most beautiful coat of paint I have seen on any car.

Maybe that's because it's an Alfa. A few months ago, I wanted a Golf R32 (this would've been a sensible choice) and up until today, a BMW 6-series E24 (which is a really beautiful GT car). But there's something about Alfas that makes you lose your senses. You think with your heart, not your head. You'd drive off to look at Audis, or BMWs, or Volkswagens... but you'd end up at the Alfa showroom.

It may not be the smartest choice, but at least my heart will be happy. I'm just hoping no one else feels this way about the car so come December, I'll be the one with the keys to my very own (2nd hand) 147 GTA Monza in pearly-white.

No comments: